Candidates in eight races will participate in “Election 2018: AETN Debates,” which will tape and air on the Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) on Oct. 8-12.
All debates will be held at the Donald W. Reynolds Performance Hall, 223 Beatrice Powell St., on the University of Central Arkansas campus in Conway. Admission is free, and the public is invited. Seating is available on a first come, first served basis. Doors will open 30 minutes prior to taping times on Monday, Oct. 8, and one hour prior to taping times Oct. 10-12. Debates will also stream live on aetn.org.
The debate schedule is as follows:
· U.S. Congressional District 1, with candidates incumbent Rick Crawford (R), Chintan Desai (D) and Elvis Presley (L), will tape Monday, Oct. 8, at 9 a.m. and air Oct. 8 at 8 p.m.
· U.S. Congressional District 4, with candidates Tom Canada (L), Hayden Catherine Shamel (D) and incumbent Bruce Westerman (R), will tape Monday, Oct. 8, at 11:30 a.m. and air Oct. 8 at 9 p.m. The Congressional District 4 includes all of southwest Arkansas, including Hempstead, Nevada, and Clark counties.
· U.S. Congressional District 2, with candidates incumbent French Hill (R), Joe Ryne Swafford (L) and Clarke Tucker (D), will tape Monday, Oct. 8, at 2 p.m. and air Tuesday, Oct. 9, at 8 p.m.
· U.S. Congressional District 3, with candidates Michael Kalagias (L), Josh Mahony (D) and incumbent Steve Womack (R), will tape Monday, Oct. 8, at 4:30 p.m. and air Tuesday, Oct. 9, at 9 p.m.
· Attorney General, with candidates Kerry Hicks (L), Mike Lee (D) and incumbent Leslie Rutledge (R), will tape Wednesday, Oct. 10, at 10 a.m. and air Oct. 10 at 8 p.m.
· Secretary of State, with candidates Susan Inman (D), Christopher Olson (L) and John Thurston (R), will tape Wednesday, Oct. 10, at 2 p.m. and air Oct. 10 at 9 p.m.
· Lieutenant Governor, with candidates Anthony Bland (D), Frank Gilbert (L) and incumbent Tim Griffin (R), will tape Thursday, Oct. 11, at 2 p.m. and air Oct. 11 at 8 p.m.
· Governor, with candidates Jared Henderson (D), incumbent Asa Hutchinson (R) and Mark West (L), will tape Friday, Oct. 12, at 1:30 p.m. and air Oct. 12 at 8 p.m.
In addition to keeping viewers informed about the candidates, “Election 2018: Ballot Initiatives” will air Friday, Oct. 12, at 7:30 p.m. The proposed initiatives that have reached the ballot will be discussed in this 30-minute program produced in conjunction with the University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service.
Debates for U.S. Congressional Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4 will be rebroadcast Sunday, Oct. 21, beginning at 12:30 p.m. Debates for attorney general, secretary of state, lieutenant governor and governor will be rebroadcast Sunday, Oct. 28, beginning at 12:30 p.m. Ballot initiatives will also be rebroadcast each day. Additional information, including debate attendance rules, is available at aetn.org/election.
Major funding for “Election 2018: AETN Debates” is provided by AARP Arkansas.
AETN makes all debates available free of charge to all commercial and public television and radio stations for simulcast or rebroadcast. Interested networks should contact Tanisha Joe-Conway at 800-662-2386 to specify a format and make arrangements for receiving the debates.