Community

Fire Destroys Home in De Ann

A De Ann man and his wife lost their home Wednesday afternoon when a fire broke out and quickly consumed it.

William Smith, owner of Smith Welding and Machine Shop, said he was at his shop two lots down from his home at 4205 Highway 29 North when someone pulled in and told him they saw heavy smoke coming from his house. William said he rushed to his home to see what was going on and check on his wife, Nina, who was home at the time.

Smith said Nina told him that she had been preparing food, but was not cooking anything, when she went to the restroom. Smith said she told him that when she attempted to exit the restroom, she saw thick smoke in the house. Realizing she couldn’t get out through the house, William said she climbed out of a window. She was checked out by Pafford EMS but was not transported from the scene.

Firefighters from De Ann, Blevins and Washington were dispatched to the fire, along with deputies from the Hempstead County Sheriff’s Office.

When firefighters arrived on scene, the house was already completely involved and had been gutted by the fire. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire but none of the Smith’s property that was in the house was able to be saved.

Facebook Comments

Back to top button