By Rick Kennedy, managing editor
The Hempstead Relay for Life organization has long been innovative in its fund-raising approaches, leaving no idea — practical or extraordinary — on the table. One example of extraordinary could be the now three-year-old Celebrity Waiter Costume event, which happens every October, and on Thursday afternoon, the practical was unveiled as the group leaders Janet K. Choate, the 2019 Hempstead Relay Chair, and Mark Ross, the Publicity Chair, introduced the Relay for Life trash bags at Farmer’s Bank in Hope.
Rolling the bags out for a photo opportunity Thursday, Choate and Ross announced that the Relay for Life trash bags are available at Farmers Bank & Trust in both the downtown Hope & North Hervey locations as well as the Hope locations of Bancorpsouth and Diamond State. The colorful bags are bright white decorated with the Relay’s signature purple logo and a purple ribbon, and they are available for $5.00 per roll.
Thursday’s announcement kicks off the start of an active eight-week swing for Hempstead Relay for Life, including on Friday, March 15, where the Relay for Life bake sale will be happening at New Millennium in Hope.
Other upcoming Relay dates and events are:
• March 30 (Saturday) for Miss Relay for Life Pageant at Klipsch Auditorium (starting at 2 p.m.)
• April 11 (Thursday) for Relay Survivors Banquet at Hempstead Hall
• April 12 (Friday) for Relay Golf Tournament at the Hope Country Club
• April 26 (Friday) for 2019 Relay of Life event and ceremonies at Legion Field at Hope’s Fair Park
• May 4 (Saturday) for Relay Softball Tournament sponsored by Heather Manor