Stuart Surrenders, in Custody for Shooting

James Stuart, 61

UPDATED 12/11/19 10 A.M.:

61-year-old James Stuart, of Washington, AR, is now in custody for the shooting of a Mineral Springs man on Sunday.

According to Sheriff James Singleton, Stuart turned himself in to deputies at the Sheriff’s Office at around 9 a.m. this morning and was placed under arrest. He is awaiting his first court appearance.

The Hempstead County Sheriff’s Office issued a first degree attempted murder warrant for Stuart as a result of an investigation into the Sunday shooting of a Mineral Springs man.

According to Hempstead County Sheriff James Singleton, Stuart faces possible charges of attempted first degree murder, first degree battery and terroristic act in the shooting of Larry Works, 58, of Mineral Springs.

Sheriff Singleton said his office received information at around 9 p.m. on Sunday, December 9 that a man had been admitted into Wadley Regional Medical Center in Texarkana for a gunshot wound to the leg that reportedly occurred on Hempstead 14 near Washington.

Sheriff’s Investigators made contact with the patient, Larry Works, at the hospital. Works told investigators that he and several others were at a blue house on Clay Hill when a conversation about horses that he was having with Stuart escalated. Works said Stuart pushed his nose with his finger and a physical altercation occurred. Works told investigators that Stuart told him, “I got you. I’ll be back.” and then left. Works reported that when he was leaving later on, Stuart pulled up and blocked his 06 Ford Expedition in and started shooting at him, hitting Works in the right inner thigh and shooting the truck several times. Works said that, after firing at him, Stuart left in a green four-wheel-drive Toyota truck.

A female witness who said she was at the house at the time Works was shot told investigators that as she and Works were leaving at around 7:30 p.m., she looked up and saw Stuart standing about 5’ from a tree with a rifle in his hands, aiming at Works. The witness reported hearing at least three or four shots and then running back into the house. She told the investigators that she came back outside and saw Larry was bleeding and drove him to Wadley in Texarkana.

Back to top button